
Birthdays. In the US we always celebrate them- we usually get to have a big party and get lots of presents. But especially for little kids, isn't our birthday party about getting stuff?
In Nepal, most people do not celebrate birthdays. Sure, nowadays the upper class educated people might, but your average village Nepali does not.
We celebrate the birthdays of our kids for two reasons- one is, we want to celebrate that the kid is alive- that the kid is here- that the kid exists! How many kids are treated daily like they were a mistake- like they aren't wanted? Nepalis are definitely not an exception to this rule! Lots of our kids had never once celebrated their birthdays before us. Just the fact that I would make a cake and everybody would sing a song just for THEM is a really huge thing to them!
We also celebrate to thank God for giving us the child and ask Him to continue to bless them. They love this time of prayer- I think it feels like their heart is getting a hug.
I make so many cakes now that I can practically make one without opening my eyes!
2 comments:
i hope i can help you bake some of those cakes while we're there! did anyone say yellow cake with chocalate icing? :)
ha ha! you can bake all the cakes you want when you're here! At the end of Jan. we have some birthdays and at the end of Feb. too. So it just depends when exactly you get here!
Post a Comment